Yesterday I made a terrible mistake by updating Yoast SEO plugin to its latest version (8.3) without prior testing. This resulted in significant server load. Luckily, the fix was easy.
I was looking how to improve performance of Slim’s Http\Cookies::parseHeader() function: as a C developer I find it rather non-optimal because it uses regular expressions and excessive memory allocations. I wondered it it is possible to use the same optimizations that I would use in C and if it gives any benefit.
From time to time you have to deal with someone else’s code. And the code you have to deal with sometimes surprises you. For example, Pimple, a small Dependency Injection Container for PHP; recent versions of which, according to README,
are more focused on performance. Learning something new is always interesting and sometimes funny, and therefore I started to read the code.